Uploading and Resizing Photos in SharePoint
While SharePoint will function with Google Chrome, some features may not be available. When utilizing SharePoint, Internet Explorer is the suggested browser.
Uploading and Resizing Photos in SharePoint - Accessing SharePoint
To access SharePoint, perform the following:
- Navigate to the USAWest SharePoint site.
Note: Due to it's bookmark capabilities, some user utilize Google Chrome to initial log into SharePoint and navigate to their desired location.
- Enter the appropriate user name and password to log in.
- Navigate to the desired library and folder.
- If you utilized Google Chrome to initially log into SharePoint and locate your desired location, perform the following:
- Copy the URL in the address bar.
- Open Internet Explorer.
- Paste the URL into the address bar.
- When prompted, enter the appropriate username and password to log back into SharePoint.
Uploading and Resizing Photos in SharePoint - Opening SharePoint in Windows Explorer
Opening a SharePoint library in Windows Explorer permits users to access many features not available in the standard view (e.g., thumbnail views of files, coping multiple files at once). To open a SharePoint library with Windows Explorer, perform the following:
- Navigate to the desired library.
- Select the LIBRARYtab at the top of the screen.
- Select Open with Explorer.
Note: A standard Windows Explorer window will populate.
- To utilize the Thumbnail View, select the appropriate icon on the bottom right corner of the window.
- To scroll through image files, perform the following:
- Open an image with Windows Photoviewer.
- Utilize the right and left arrows to scroll through the photos in the SharePoint folder.
Uploading and Resizing Photos in SharePoint - Updating File Names
To update the file names of the photos prior to uploading them to SharePoint, perform the following:
- Open a second Windows Explorer window.
- Navigate to the folder where the desired folders are located.
- If necessary, update the file names of images with a shared subject, by performing the following:
- Select all of the desired photos.
- Press the F2 key.
- Leaving the existing file name in place, amend the front of the first file name with a subject name.
- Press the Enter key.
Note: The beginning of the file names of the selected photos will be amended with the text added to the beginning of the first file.
- To update a file name independently, perform the following:
- Select the individual file.
- Press the F2 key.
- Update the file name.
- Press the Enter key.
Uploading and Resizing Photos in SharePoint - Modifying the Size of Photo Files
To modify the size of photos prior to adding them to SharePoint, perform the following:
- In Windows Explorer, navigate to the folder that contains the desired files.
- In a separate Windows Explorer window, navigate to the release drive.
- Locate the PhotoResize application.
Note: The PhotoResize application is not an installation file.
- Save the application to a location on your computer.
Note: Some users keep this application on their desktop for convenience.
- Navigate to the location where PhotoResize is saved on your computer.
- To select the desired size of the photos, perform the following:
- Select the PhotoResize application.
- Update the digit at the end of the file name to match the desired pixels per square inch.
Note: As an example, updating the name of the program to "PhotoResize1200.exe" would direct the application to create photo files with 1200 pixels per square inch.
Note: Some users find photo files that are 1200 pixels per square inch as an ideal size for SharePoint photos.
- Navigate back to the window containing the desired photo files.
- Select the files.
- Drag them onto the PhotoResize application icon.
Note: The PhotoResize application can only process approximately 100 files at a time.
Note: When the PhotoResize application is running, a dialogue box will populate.
Note: When the application has finished running, the new files will have a "-" and a number indicating the corresponding file size at the end of each file's name.
Uploading and Resizing Photos in SharePoint - Adding Files to The SharePoint Library
To add files to a SharePoint library, perform the following:
- If necessary, re-open the desired SharePoint library in Windows Explorer.
- In a separate Windows Explorer window, navigate to the folder where the desired photo files are located.
- Open each photo and verify the following prior to uploading it to SharePoint:
- The photo is orientated correctly.
- The quality of the image is satisfactory.
- Navigate to the window containing the SharePoint library.
- If necessary, create a new folder.
- Open the appropriate folder to upload the photos to.
- Navigate back to the photo files that will be uploaded.
- Select the desired photos.
- Drag them to the appropriate destination in the SharePoint window.
Note: The photos will be available instantly in the Windows Explorer view of SharePoint.
Note: It may take several minutes for the photos to populate in the web browser view of SharePoint.
Note: After the files have been uploaded, it may be necessary to refresh your web browser to view the files in the SharePoint web browser view.