Installing a Cisco IP Phone 7940/7960
Prior to installing the Cisco IP Phone 7940/7960, your system administrator is required to prepare the network for your phone. If a technician is not installing your phone, verify with the system administrator that the network is ready for your phone. To install your phone on a network that has already been prepared to host the phone, perform the following:
- Connect the supplied Ethernet cable to the network port on the phone.
Note: The Ethernet cable part is the middle port on the phone.
Note: The Cisco IP phone box contains a Ethernet cable.
- If a longer Ethernet cable is required, contact the Help Center.
- Connect the handset to the respective port connector.
Note: The handset is the bottom port.
- Connect the headset to the respective port connector.
Note: The headset is the top port.
Note: The Cisco IP Phone 7940/7960 supports a four or six wire headset jack.
Note: Supported headsets can be found at http://cisco.getheadsets.com or http://vxicorp.com/cisco.
- If connecting to a computer, perform the following:
- Connect an Ethernet cable from your desktop computer to access the port on the IP phone.
- If multiple Ethernet ports are not available, connect your computer to the phone to enable your PC to access the network through the IP phone.
- If you are not connecting to an AC power adapter, perform the following:
- Connect the power plug to the DC48V AC adapter port.
- Verify the power cord passes through the retainer clips to the right of the 10/100 PC access port.
Note: The Cisco IP Phone 7940/7960 can be powered by an external power source, a switching module, or a power patch panel.
- If you have questions in regards to your power source, contact the Help Center.
- To adjust the footstand, perform the following:
- Adjust the footstand to the desired height to view the LCD display clearly and comfortably. Perform the following:
- Press IN the footstand adjustment knob.
- Adjust the footstand to the desired height.
- Release the footstand adjustment knob.
Note: Once the Cisco IP Phone 7940/7960 has power connected to it, the phone begins the startup process.
Note: Once the setup process is complete, the LCD screens appears, displaying the phone extension, soft keys, date, and time.
Note: If the phone does not start up, contact the Help Center.