Creating Copies of SharePoint Documents
When working on a Knowledge Base document in SharePoint, do not work in the existing file. Prior to making any modifications, create a copy of the document, by performing the following:
Note: Working from a copy created directly from SharePoint will prevent you from using an outdated version of the content.
- Navigate to the desired document.
- Select on the ... menu bar.
- When the pop-up window populates, select the ... menu.
- Select Download.
- When prompted by the browser, select the Open with option.
- From the corresponding drop-down menu, select Microsoft Word.
- When the document opens in Microsoft Word, select FILE.
- Select Save As.
- Select the desired location to save the copy of the file to (e.g., OneDrive - Salvation Army - US West).
- To make the document accessible to other technicians, save the file to your OneDrive.
- Create a file name that will be easy to identify in the future (e.g., the impacted user's first and last name).
- Select Save.
- Validate the open document is a copy by verifying the file name at the top of the document matches the one entered.